Sunday 9 January 2011

rabbit trail.



I have officially seen rabbits being slaughtered in Italy, the UK and Austria. Ironically, the more times I've seen it, the less easy it gets.

Hager Poppa keeps about 20 or so rabbits. He breds them for meat. They eat the best food. Fresh hay, vegetables and lots of apples. I wanted to see how they were killed and prepped, so he showed me.


This was the most interesting part of the anatomy. Rabbit poop in transit. The most worrying thing about  rabbits is them not going enough. When things get backed up, their gut will be gorged with hard pellets. It will feel like they are carrying a pouch of ball bearings with them. If a rabbit doesn't 'go', it goes. I have spent far too many hours fretting and feeling up my rabbit to make sure he isn't feeling down.

Hager Poppa's rabbits don't get fed any dry rabbit feed, so they get more than enough fibre and this is what the inside of a healthy rabbit looks like - poop all lined up and ready to go.

I think this means I can now say that I know my rabbit shit.

stat counter