Wednesday 27 October 2010

banksy lesson #1.

OK, so this isn't quite about food. I'm having my work moments....

I can never decide whether the proper thing about Banksy is to write / shout about it at all. Why?

Because he has made such a big point about staying anonymous. It is about the work. It is about letting that speak for itself. It is about not having a PR engine. It is about not giving anything away so that others can make a PR engine out of him.

Banksy - the man who says so little about himself, everything is focused on what his message is and what he produces. Don't know me, just know what I do.

In the advertising world, this is a man without a brand. You can get into hours' worth of theoretical arguments about the fact that he has made the 'Banksy' name a brand. Yes, I will give it that - people have got to have something to refer to. But when you look at his work, it is never branded. NEVER signed off. So is it a brand?

Enough about brands.

I'm a fan because if you read the second last line "Banksy cannot be found on facebook/twitter/myspace etc."



I'm a huge fan because he refuses for current convention (read obsession) to be the only way.

To anyone who have been spewing facebook/twitter as the only way to success, ^URS.

stat counter