Friday 29 October 2010

and then I'm in.

3 months is how long it takes.

Not to become useful in the bakery - even though I knew by then which dough was up next, how to prep, scale, round, mould and judge if the dough was ready to be loaded into the oven - but to be accepted as one of them.

It started first with Gyorgy saying out of the blue 'we make good team'. And then the bakers started to ask me if I was going to be at the bakery the following day. Not if I was going to be there on big days when they needed help but every single day I would be asked the same question. This, given the fact they knew there wasn't anywhere else I was going to be. Given the fact they had seen me show up every baking day for the past 3 months.

That was when I knew at that point, I was one of them. I may not be as good a baker but I was one of them.

stat counter