Saturday 11 December 2010

unexpected bread twists.

So you know I have landed in Vienna. What you didn't know is how I ended up here.

I came across the Gragger Bakery at the Slow Food Festival in Turin. They were one of the few bakeries selling fresh bread to the crowds over the 5 days. Not only did they bake fresh bread everyday, they made it from their own woodfire oven and their own wood which they drove on a three and a half tonne trailer all the way from Austria.

The bread was so good, the stall was packed all the time. I finally managed to get a conversation only because the bread had almost run out and it wasn't busy at the time. That is how I met Bernhard who was selling bread.


Is this your first time at Slow Food?
Yeah it's my first time here helping out but the bakery was here 2 years ago.
You work at the bakery?!
No. My mother works at the bakery. I'm just helping out. 
Your mother's a baker?!  
No, she just works at the bakery. My brother is a baker.
Your brother works at the bakery?!
No, he works in a different kind of bakery. His bakery doesn't make bread by hand or with wood. But we have a wood fire oven at home and he bakes the most delicious bread at home once a week by hand and with wood. I can ask him to wait and show you how it's done. If you are not allowed to visit the bakery, you can definitely visit my home.

And this is how I hit bread jackpot...and Vienna.

stat counter