Tuesday 21 December 2010

technique counts for a lot.

Last week's.
Today's.
Proud.

The fact that my semmerls are getting better is old news.

The fact that I can make semmerls with the same technique as the bakers is new news. They won't let me do it my way anymore.  I now need to use my left fingers to flip the dough over and the base of my right hand to form the folds. It's not easy.

When the masterbaker does it, it is a fluid motion, moving a flat piece of dough across the bench, gently folding over the dough but pressing the seam down firmly. He moves so quickly there is a constant cloud of flour where his hands are. And his elbows are always comfortably apart from each other. It is a bit like taichi - only fast.

When I do it, my whole body and arms get ridiculously contorted. I'm like the person trying to use  chopsticks for the first time. Instead of moving just the hand and fingers, the entire body is summoned to create some kind of action as if it has some role to play in in lifting the morsel of food.

I'd give it another week for the rest of my body to realise the handling is all in the hands.

stat counter