Tuesday 9 November 2010

truffle ware.



I've been travelling around with a tupperware to store the excess food I can't stop myself from buying at these sagras. My travelling larder has held anything from chocolates to biscuits to salumi to bread to fruit; and kept me alive on 48hour bus journeys plus numerous train rides.

At Boccaccesa, I bought myself a small piece of cheese with truffles and kept it in the container along with some chocolates and bread. They stayed in the dark hostel cupboard for a couple of days then travelled from Florence to Valdobbiadene, .

By the time I got to Valdobbiadene, hiked it to the tavern and wanted lunch, my container was no longer the lowly plastic lunch box it was before.

The piece of truffle cheese I had had infused everything with its wonderful perfume. My lump of chocolate could have passed off as truffle chocolate, ditto my chunk of bread. Heat from the train and the hike made the cheese sweat a little, essentially leeching truffle oil out of it, releasing aromatic molecules, turning a measly lunch into a luxe one.

Nothing about lunch was short of extraordinary, considering the truffles, the location and the bottle of prosecco.


stat counter