Tuesday 2 November 2010

tripped out on tripe.





Lampredotto - a Florentine peasant dish, made from the first and fourth stomach of the cow.

The most un-smelling tripe I have ever eaten. For the Italians, this takes no time at all to cook because the tripe comes cleaned and ready. There is no need to do it yourself and put up with the off-putting offal smell.

I chanced upon this place as I was frantically trying to rush my computer to shop where they would save it from what would be classified by any medical and technical expert as being unresponsive. Thankfully, as distraught as I was, I managed to drop a pin and find this place when my computer and I were both in much better shape.

It was one of the best meals I had, sitting at the counter, watching the lunches get prepared, the lines of working people who came by to eat and just being part of Italian daily life rather than a tourist. Reminded me of sitting in the Merat de la Boqueria in Barcelona together with the working class locals, way earlier than when the tourists arrived.

Tripe on display in the glass window.
He takes the stomach out of hot broth where they have been cooking.
Then proceeds to cut it up into portions and smaller pieces.
(Foreground) The middle of the bread is hollowed out to hold more of the tripe.
Tripe is then piled on high.
A choice of green ( parsley, garlic and olive oli) or red hot sauce is available.
The top half of the bun is quickly dipped into stock used to cook the tripe to soften it.
Trippa al sufo alla Florentina - with tomato sauce and topped with cheese.
A lot more tasty than Lampredotto.
My entire meal -  with 2 glasses of wine, maybe even 3. 
The menu.
A constant stream of crowds.

stat counter