Tuesday 13 July 2010

my first bread

Like some of you, I was half expecting to be scrubbing bread tins for a while before I get a chance to play dough.

I've been quite lucky to have tried every bit of the process since Day 1. So far, I've weighed out recipes, learnt how to tell if the dough is ready, divided them up, rounded, shaped them into batards / cobs / loaves / baguettes / rolls / knots and given them their final slashes. Whilst I've done them all, I can't really say they are my loaves since I'm only doing some bits of the process each time. Until I got to make the gluten free breads. 

This was the day when I had to do everything from start till end i.e. weigh out everything, mix it in the mixer, put them into the tins. There was a last minute additional order of 20 loaves on an already busy day and I got the job of knocking them out.

It should be a big deal but the truth is, it's really difficult to ruin gluten free dough since there isn't any gluten to wreck in the first place. Still, there are days when the loaves don't rise as much. These turned out pretty well I thought.
Also, gluten free bread has a very low status in the bakery. It's not even regarded as real bread. We make 3 different kinds in the bakery and everyone regards it as fake / plastic bread. It is difficult for the gluten frees to stand up to the sourdoughs and the kamuts and spelts, even the regular farmhouses and standard wholemeals.

However, when your body just can't tolerate wheat, this is a very tasty option. The dough smells really good because of all the good stuff like sunflower, linseed, sesame, poppyseed and carrot juice amongst other things.

Don't knock it till you try it. 


stat counter