Saturday 14 August 2010

play dough.


For those who have wondered about it, this is what I do all day...

... I plunge my hands into huge bins of dough...





...stick my fingers into them whenever I can...



...feel the smooth huge air pockets that come up on top...


...stick my finger into them to see how much they can take before they burst...


...pull dough apart to look at gluten strings inside and be tempted to mash them up...



...feel how bouncy and bloated it is after it has proofed...


...throw lots of flour around a big table throughout the day...


...roughly slap some dough together to make rustic looking bread...

This is how these country crust rolls are made - 
First take a pile of flour and a lump of dough. 
Split the dough in half. 
Flatten each half.
Dump them into the pile of flour.
Make sure both sides are completely covered in flour.
Don't shake off flour.
Pile each one on top of the other.
Roll them towards you.
Flatten with hand.

...handle delicate soft dough with a lot of water like the pugliese...

This is so soft, rounding has to be done in the hand rather than on the table. The skin is gently stretched and pulled in opposite directions, both the ends tucked into the hand holding the dough and squeezed together.


...make lots of shapes out of it...



...and some days, do it several hundred times over...


...after handling the dough about, I roll it in lots of other things...


...or sprinkle stuff on top...



...and then I might slash them across with a sharp knife...

...or cut different patterns into them.

That is roughly what I do all day.

It should feel like work but it rarely does.

It feels like I get dropped off every morning to go to play for a few hours.

stat counter